Non destructive scanning while connected to current AP.

Andrea G Forte andreaf at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:11:02 EST 2005

It seems that everytime a handoff occurs, the STA sends Null function
packets to the AP, one at the beginning of the scanning process and one
at the end of the scanning process. These packets tell the old AP when
to start and stop buffering packets for the STA. I had a thread earlier
on the meaning of these frames and Jouni explained what I just told you.
However, these packets can introduce a significant delay in the handoff
process. This means that even though the packets are buffered, if the
delay introduced by these null function frames is too big, the buffered
packets are useless (at least for VoIP and other real-time applications).
It would be better to not have them at all when using real-time
applications. Unfortunately these frames are controlled by the firmware
and not the driver.
Furthermore if you read the 802.11 standard the particular mechanism
that takes care of buffering is "out of the scope" of the standard, so I
am not sure if using the null function frames is the "standard" way to
do it.

Regards,
Andrea