Secure Internet for Small Office / Home Office HOWTO now available
coert.vonk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:52:28 EST 2005
Time for me to give back to the community .. I wrote down my notes
about building a Firewall, Wireless Access Point and VPN Server. The
wireless is using the madwifi driver and hostapd authenticator (WPA).
It also includes configuration notes for wpa_supplicant and Windows/XP
clients. The WPA uses X.509 certificates (TLS) or username/password
The overall key features of the router:
* Stateful Firewall - offers highly configurable protection for
the internal network.
* VPN Server - lets remote users access the resources on the
internal network through their local Internet connection (Windows/XP
can connect out of the box).
* Office Interconnect - combined IPsec VPN server and client
allows secure office interconnect.
* Versitile Wireless Access Point - 802.11b/g (2.4 GHz) and
802.11a (5 GHz) with antenna diversity for extended range.
* Wireless Security - WEP, WPA or IEEE 802.11i prevents unauthorized access.
* Network Address Translation - lets all computers on the internal
network share a single Internet connection.
* Local Domain server - speeds up DNS lookups and resolves local domains.
* Dynamic Host Configuration server - allows computers on the
internal network to automatically configure their network interface.
* Network Time Protocol server - keeps the clocks of computers on
the internal network in sync.
* Secure Shell - allows secure remote administratrion of this router.
* Highly configurable - You have the source code; you can make any
change you want.
The HOWTO is available at:
hope this helps,
More information about the HostAP