pre-authentication in RSN/WPA2 -- new subtype in Managementt Frame!!

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Feb 23 21:58:39 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:53:17PM +0100, Ajeet Nankani wrote:

> For Jouni and other developers, can we use one of the reserved subtypes
> in mangement frame and transfer the list through that/those frame/frames
> to STA?.....or may be built new IE...just a thought.

No, it is up to IEEE to define uses for the reserved subtypes and they
are indeed doing exactly this.. See IEEE 802.11k draft and Action
frames.

> Ofcourse we have to
> modify AP and STA to handle that management frame or IE accoringly. But
> is it possible to modify hostap to accomplish above task??

For AP side, yes. For client side, I don't know; I haven't tested what
the Prism2/2.5/3 firmware does with Action frames. If it sends them to
the driver, yes, we could use the neighbor report frames from IEEE
802.11k.