hostapd <> Intel ProSet = authentication fails

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Feb 12 20:27:16 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 11:37:20AM -0800, Coert wrote:

> My last venture for a while.  Trying to get my wife's laptop
> authenticated using WPA.  The laptop is using version 7.1 of Intel
> ProSet supplicant that claims to support WPA.
>
> In the attached hostapd traces, I see it sending  an authentication
> request.  There is no answer from the supplicant.  The only debugging
> that I can enable for ProSet is not very helpful when trying to get
> WPA running (it is about the physical interface).
>
> Do you know how to enable WPA debugging in ProSet?  Are the "known
> issues" with this supplicant?

Yes, there is a known issue with that supplicant. It does not seem to
like EAPOL version 2 even though IEEE 802.1X standard requires that
newer version numbers are processed..

A quick workaround is to change hostapd to claim it is using version 1
by modifying following line in hostapd/ieee802_1x.h:

#define EAPOL_VERSION 2

#define EAPOL_VERSION 1

Please let me know if this allows you to complete authentication with
the Intel ProSet supplicant.