Monitoring mode gets frames from more than one channel!

Ajeet fromkth+hostap at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 11 08:17:27 EST 2005

eduardgv wrote:

>>>That's the way IEEE 802.11b works.. Different channels are using
>>>different center frequencies, but they are overlapping and radios can
>>>receive frames from other channel, although with limited signal
>>>strength.
>>>

> I think 5 channel separation is enough not to allow packet
> decodification on physical layer, even though it is not enough to
> avoid interferences. I suspect it is a firmware issue. The card keeps
> collecting statistics from other channels in orther to perform future
> handovers.

I think it is only in "iwconfig wlan0 monitor" mode when it collects
frames from channels other than it is currently on. But when you are in
managed mode it does not or it should not collects frames from "the
other" channel if that "other channel" is 5 channel apart. Like if STA
is on channel 1 and the other channel being 6.
Ofcourse when the STA makes decision to search for other APs becuase of
weak signal(or some other reason) with current APs then it scans, hence
collects frames from every other channel.
So it is likely that when that card is in manged mode you found it
collecting statistics(frames) from "the other" channels (channels which
are 5 or more channels apart from current associated channel) because it
made decision to scan.

> Setting mode 2 roaming (iwpriv wlan0 host_roaming 2) still produces
> the same behaviour?

but here if you have instructed the card not to scan or the other case
that STA is being stationary and not moving to get signal quality
degraded, and even if after that it is collecting frames from 5 channels
apart other channels, then i suspect it might be the issue with how fine
tuned is the receiver to the current channel, but i dont have any radio
knowledge so someone here with good radio knowledge can explain better
if that is the issue.

One more question to eduardgv that how you were able to see 802.11
packets on the card in managed mode, beacuse in my setup i can see
802.11 header in ethereal only when i set the card in monitor mode, in
other modes(master or manged) it only shows ethernet header.

Thanks.

-ajeet.