wpa_supplicant + ndiswrapper = Failed to enable WPA in the driver

Coert Vonk coert.vonk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:18:36 EST 2005

I am trying wpa_supplicant (both the cvs and 0.3.6) with ndiswrapper
for my wireless card.  It appears to have problems setting WPA mode as
seen in the debug trace:

./wpa_supplicant -ddddd -i wlan0 -c /etc/802.11i/wpa_supplicant.conf
:
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Own MAC address: 00:90:4b:2f:6e:d4
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

The Win/XP driver does support WPA.  I just got that working with
hostapd on the access point (see an earlier email).

Using iwpriv, the wlan0 interface appears to support "setwpa".

wlan0     Available private ioctl :
          setwpa           (8BE1) : set   1 int   & get   0
          setkey           (8BE2) : set   1 int   & get   0
          associate        (8BE3) : set   1 int   & get   0
          disassociate     (8BE4) : set   1 int   & get   0
          drop_unencrypted (8BE5) : set   1 int   & get   0
          countermeaures   (8BE6) : set   1 int   & get   0
          deauthenticate   (8BE7) : set   1 int   & get   0
          auth_alg         (8BE8) : set   1 int   & get   0
          ndis_reset       (8BF0) : set   0       & get   0
          power_profile    (8BF1) : set   1 int   & get   0

setting WPA mode using iwpriv appears to work

[root at crox wpa_supplicant]# iwpriv wlan0 setwpa 1
[root at crox wpa_supplicant]# echo $?
0

can you point my nose in the right direction?  Thanks,
Coert