mini tutorial: hostap+fedora core-3

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Feb 2 17:11:36 EST 2005

Hi!

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, DrDoom wrote:

> Here it's my little contribution: howto configure hostap in Fedora Core-3
>
> http://www.sorgonet.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=152&mode=&order=0&thold=0

A little improvement: there is no need to type the kernel version
manually.  There is a more universal way to find the sources of the
current kernel:

KERNEL_PATH=$(shell readlink -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/source)

"source" is preferred over "build" because kernels can now be built
outside the source tree (not important for stock FC3 kernels).

"readlink -f" resolves all symlinks, just for prettiness.  Those using own
kernels will see paths under /usr/src/linux, which is mode readable than
e.g. /lib/modules/2.6.11-rc2/source.

I don't think wifi0 is a "virtual dumb device".  It should be sufficient
to say that is should not be used except for purposes outside of scope of
your document.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin