wpa_supplicant: works for 10 seconds, then fails, then works..

lorenzo lagrespan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 03:31:43 EST 2005

On 12/26/05, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> > wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=2 key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=6 key_len=32
> > State: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE -> GROUP_HANDSHAKE
> > [and afeter 10 seconds]
> > Authentication with 00:40:05:55:e5:3d timed out.
> Pairwise key was configured for encrypting/decrypting unicast packets,
> but wpa_supplicant did not receive a Group Key message 1/2 which is
> supposed to be the first encrypted frame using the pairwise keys. Based
> on your description of other things working, it sounds like the pairwise
> keys were configured correctly.

Ok. But why does it work? Does wpa_supplicant allow things to "go on"
even if not all protocol specifications are followed?

> My first guess would be that the AP did not encrypt group key message
> even though WPA specification requires that it is encrypted. Some
> drivers may allow such incorrect behavior (e.g., most Windows NDIS
> drivers), but it is possible that the driver you are using (ipw2200
> Linux driver) does not.

I'm using the generic linux wireless extensions (-Dwext) because my
ipw doesn't accept some low-level system calls (operation not
supported when exchanging keys and such).

> Would you happen to have possibility of using a wireless sniffer to
> capture what the AP is sending out during WPA handshakes?

Will try soon. In the mean time, thanks.

--
:lorenzo grespan
GPG Key fingerprint = 5372 1B49 9E61 747C FB9A  4DAE 5D2A A9A0 74B4 8F1A