signal quality, prism firmware, WPA

Tony Espy espy at pepper.com
Mon Dec 12 18:54:14 EST 2005

Tony Espy wrote:
> I've reported this problem multiple times.  We also are using a PCMCIA
> based Prism card.  I reported a patch for v0.3.9 of the driver awhile
> back ( see below ).
>
> What I found was that the method hostap_join_ap() in hostap_ioctl.c
> could end up passing a channel number of 0 to the firmware when it sent
> a JOINREQUEST.  This was due to the fact that there were two seperate
> arrays that could hold scan results, one called scan_results and one
> called hostscan_results.

oops, i left a bit out...  with a new version of firmware, the driver
always issues a HOSTSCAN, however the hostap_join_ap() method only
walked thru the last_scan_results array which isn't used when a HOSTSCAN
is done.  this meant the channel value was set to 0 on the JOINREQUEST.

note - the driver separately sets the channel, so the join will work,
and data can be transferred, however as you've seen, signal strength
reporting is broken.

Tony Espy
Pepper Computer

p.s. this should only be a 0.3.x problem as Jouni re-worked the way scan
results are handled in the 0.4.x branch.