wpa_supplicant 0.4.6, ndiswrapper 1.6, static wep fails

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Dec 2 21:35:46 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 04:52:40PM -0600, Tolunay Orkun wrote:

> wpa_supplicant_associate() has a provision to reset wep key again after
> wpa_drv_associate() but because ndisdriver does not implement get_capa
> operation which is used to test for the
> WPA_DRIVER_FLAGS_SET_KEYS_AFTER_ASSOC flag, the keys are not reset properly.

NDIS drivers do indeed require this flag and so would ndiswrapper, if it
does not re-configure WEP keys automatically after association.

> I've hacked wpa_supplicant.c as follows to get it working for me. This
> is probably not the right way to fix this issue in general. I guess
> ndiswrapper needs to support a get_capa operation which returns this
> flag (also other capabilities correctly). Is it too bad to aways reset
> the static wep keys and drop WPA_DRIVER_FLAGS_SET_KEYS_AFTER_ASSOC
> completely?

Yes, I think there are drivers that will trigger re-association when WEP
keys are configured.. It would be better to just hardcode capabilities
from ndiswrapper with this flag set and TKIP/CCMP/WPA/WPA2 include or
well, of course even better, to implement correct mechanism for figuring
out what capabilities are supported.