problem with hostap and wpa/wpa_supplicant

Rodney Thayer rodney at canola-jones.com
Fri Dec 2 00:16:07 EST 2005

We had some trouble getting wpa_supplicant to run.
Using wpa_supplicant 0.4.7 and hostap-driver 0.4.7,
we couldn't run wpa_supplicant in pre-shared key (psk)
mode.  We got this error:

   ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported

It turns out that hostap won't let wpa_supplicant run wpa
if the card isn't running STA firmware 1.7.0.  I looked
around and could not find any documentation on this.
I finally found it by tracing through the hostap driver
and found the version check.

So... if I am correct (that this isn't documented), I suggest this problem be
fixed by updating the documentation for wpa_supplicant to remind
folks to update the firmware on their PRISM cards.

(Mostly I'm posting this so the next person to shoot themselves in the
foot this way will be able to search for this post.)