Essid issue.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Dec 1 22:07:34 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 01:58:06PM -0500, Michael Vanacore wrote:

> How do I get the wlan0 interface only to use a particular ESSID without
> associating itself to any AP near by? The issue that I am running into is
> that I set the mode of the card to ad-hoc with a particular essid, but it
> associates to a near by AP. I maybe missing a setting within the
> hostap_cs.conf file or /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, but if anyone has any
> ideas let me know. Thanks.

Have you tried running following commands manually?

iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan0 essid your_ssid

What does 'iwconfig wlan0' show when the client is associated with an AP
even though it should have been configured to use ad-hoc mode? Please
also send the relevant lines from 'dmesg' output showing what the driver
is doing as far as mode change and association is concerned.