wpa_supplicant: segmentation fault

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 23 00:13:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 01:48:13PM -0700, Pete R wrote:

> [root at localhost ~]# wpa_supplicant -D ndiswrapper -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

> State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
> Segmentation fault

Could you please try to run wpa_supplicant under a debugger to get a
backtrace of that segmentation fault? Following steps should provide the
information I'm looking for assuming the wpa_supplicant binary was built
with debugging information:

gdb wpa_supplicant
run -D ndiswrapper -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd
bt

('run' and 'bt' commands are run in gdb; I'm interested in the output of
the 'bt' command)

Alternatively, enable core dumps with 'ulimit -c 3000000' and run
wpa_supplicant again. This should generate a 'core' file when the
segmentation fault happens. After this, send me a copy of the core file
and the wpa_supplicant binary you used.