DHCP kills connection

Roy Marples uberlord at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 9 04:03:56 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 21:57 +0200, Gerrit Erpenstein wrote:
> Making a WPA encrypted connection to my AP worked directly. But when I
> try to get an IP from the router's DHCP server the ath0 interface goes
> down, wpa_supplicant disconnects and the DCHP client gets no offer. A
> few seconds later wpa_supplicant reconnects again.
> Interstingly the connection works when I enter ath0's IP and other
> network settings manual through ifconfig. ('ifconfig ath0 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 add 192.168.0.150' and so on). But
> I think you agree that this isn't really satisfying as I use my laptop
> on different APs.
> By the way, I have tested wpa_supplicant version 0.4.3 and 0.3.9 using
> dhclient and pump with the same annoying results.
>
> This is the output I get from wpa supplicant when I enter 'dhclient ath0':

Default dhclient scripts (iirc) take the interface down before
configuring it - this in essence, stops wpa_supplicant from working.
When dhclient brings the interface back up, wpa_supplicant has to
reconnect.

All of the dhcp clients I know of have needed a few tweaks to work fine
with wpa_supplicant.

dhcpcd-2.0.0 http://developer.berlios.de/projects/dhcpcd/ works fine if
called with the -o option to keep the interface up

pump in Gentoo has patches written by myself for similar functionality
udhcpc and dhclient in Gentoo share the same script base - and they do
not bring the interface down for this very reason.

Unless you're using Gentoo, dhcpcd may be your best bet.

Thanks

Roy