hostapd wpa_psk_file doesn't work ...

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Apr 20 22:30:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 04:48:49PM +0200, Vincent Tassy wrote:

> I then removed the wpa_passphrase stanza from the conf file and added
>
> wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd.wpa_psk
>
> this file contains :
>
> 00:00:00:00:00:00 abcdefgh
>
> And with this, when I try to start hostapd, I get the following error :
>
> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
> WPA-PSK enabled, but PSK or passphrase is not configured.
> 1 errors found in configuration file '/etc/hostapd.conf'

The current version of hostapd expects to get a PSK configured in
hostapd.conf even if wpa_psk_file is configured. I changed the CVS
version to ignore this verification if wpa_psk_file is set. In other
words, you can either update to the latest CVS snapshot or as a
workaround, add some bogus PSK in hostapd.conf and use the PSK file to
configure the correct passphrase.