wpa-psk problem - madwifi with Netgear WGR614 v4

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Apr 19 22:37:42 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:03:13AM -0700, Sriram Chadalavada wrote:

>     I am trying to configure WPA-PSK with FC3 on my
>  Toshiba laptop with a built-in Atheros 5211
>  card(madwifi driver) and want to connect to a
>  Netgear WGR614 v4 access point (Firmware version
> 5.0_07).

I have actually never tested AR5211-based cards with madwifi, so I'm not
fully sure what to expect from their TKIP encryption behavior. Based on
the debug log, it looks like the first authentication was actually
completed successfully, so if the AP is working correctly, the client
was at least able to decrypt one packet correctly. However, the AP
seemed to disconnect the client immediately after this. It is unclear
whether the reply message (EAPOL-Key 2/2) was sent out correctly.

Do you happen to have a wireless sniffer that you could use to capture
the negotiation? It would be useful to see what exactly is being sent
during the Group Key handshake.