Regarding PEAP wpa_supplicant interoperability

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Apr 2 11:34:49 EST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 06:59:35AM -0800, J I wrote:

>         Is the PEAP authentication protocol in wpa_supplicant is interoperable with IAS server, i am trying to authenticate wpa_supplicant ( PEAP configured as authentication protocol ) with IAS server .

Yes, this works fine in my tests.

> But wpa_supplicant is failing to verify the server certificate. The error message is :
> "validate server certificate failed - unable to find the issuer of the server certificate".Will the wpa_supplicant accepts the certificate generated by IAS server Certificate Authority tool. If it can then can anybody help me in generating the valid certificate.

I have used certificates generated by Microsoft CA with IAS and that has
worked fine. Are you sure you configured the correct CA certificate to
wpa_supplicant? Have you tested whether this works without ca_cert
configured in wpa_supplicant.conf?

>          Will the IAS sever recognize the openssl generated certificates ?

Well, yes, but getting this configured is going to be quite complex. One
would need to add all the required certificate extensions and then load
the certificate. I have seen it done once, but I would not be doing it
without plenty of time available to waste on this.. ;-)