wlan0sta and wlan0ap

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Sep 29 22:13:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:50:29PM +0200, Stefan Winter wrote:

> about a year ago there were some postings about being in Master mode and
> simultaneously with a logical device wlanXsta in Managed mode.

> I wonder how the status of that experiment is? Did it ever leave its
> experimental state? And what specifically does "old" firmware mean?

It is still experimental and mostly untested in the current version of
the driver & hostapd. "Old" would have been station firmware 0.8.0 or
something like that. However, if I remember correctly, this started
working again with some of the latest firmware versions.

> I have a
> card in possession that is an original "Lucent Orinoco" (really one of the
> first 11b ever) with a firmware of an alternate versioning scheme (something
> like 6.72 firmware or so). Would that be old enough? And is hostapd still
> capable of that sort of thing?

Old enough yes, but Lucent Orinoco is not a Prism2-based card, so not
much hope in getting it to work in this kind of configuration.