Mandrake Cooker, kernel-2.6.8, and hostap...slow

Praedor Atrebates praedor at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 09:40:25 EDT 2004

As the subject indicates, I am running a current cooker (development) version
of Mandrake on my laptop and have tried the 3rd Party builtin hostap_cs
driver in kernel-2.6.8.1-2mdk (2.6.8 kernel variant).  I am finding that the
rate on my card is locked at 2MB/s when using hostap.

I have an Orinoco Gold (Lucent) 802.11b wifi card for my laptop when at home.
My desktop system, same distro,  to which I connect has a 802.11g card in it.
When using the default orinoco_cs module, the default transfer rate is
5.5MB/s.  Last night, I decided to give a shot to the hostap_cs driver
provided now with the kernel as a 3rd Party addition.  It works fine except
that the max/default rate is 2MB/s.  I used iwconfig to try to bump up the
rate to 5, 6, or 11MB/s but nothing changed it from 2MB/s.  Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to determine exactly what version of hostap is included in
the current 2.6.8 kernels but I would presume it to be rather recent(?).

Is there a trick to getting the rate boosted upward?

praedor
--
"Our ship is in the hands of pilots who are steering directly under full sail
for a rock.  The whole crew may see this course to violate our liberties in