PMK with LEAP in the WPA supplicant

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Sep 8 21:58:29 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:15:00AM -0700, J I wrote:

> I wanted to use LEAP with  WPA supplicant. As per my understanding, wpa_supplicant_process_1_of_4 function calls eapol_sm_get_key with the key size as 256, while the key size obtained with LEAP is only 128 bit.

Yes, this is the normal case and the exact reason for wpa_supplicant
README to say that LEAP is not supported with WPA..

> With this, I am not sure if LEAP can be used with WPA where TKIP is configured as a unicast/group cipher suite.

There may be some proprietary Cisco magic for generating a 256-bit
session key from LEAP or maybe more likely for converting the 128-bit
key to a 256-bit one. If someone can either provide the details or point
to a publicly available spec, I should be able to implement this in
wpa_supplicant..