Sniffer mode in hostAP

tanuja ingale tanuja_iv at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 15:00:59 EDT 2004

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to go about using ethereal/kismet sniffing utilities
with hostAP to sniff raw 802.11 packets. My interest is in finding out the
data flow paths from the hostAP station in Managed mode to the Access Point
in a public place. I'm using a DLink DWL 650 Rev P1 laptop card.

By putting the hostAP in monitor mode # 3, the AP with which my host was
initially associated with now shows a 00:00:00:00:00:00. I lose the net
connectivity after that.

Can anyone also tell me how to put the card in promiscuous mode?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks Ingale