PATCH: wired eapol receive/send

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Sep 2 01:08:15 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:58:38AM +0200, Gunter Burchardt wrote:

> First patch to bring wired authentication with hostapd alive. This
> patch enables hostapd to send and recieve eapol frames via ethernet.
> Furthermore sta detection is implemented via dhcp for station which
> didn't send eapol-start (like winxp supplicant).

Thanks! I haven't yet merged this in, but couple of quick
comments/questions first..

Is there any particular reason for parsing DHCP packets? One option
would be to open packet socket on the same interface with Linux Socket
filter to capture the packets and then take the layer 2 address from
them. Then again, this may not end up being much simpler. Eventually, I
would assume this could be replaced with something like iptables
firewall queueing packets from unknown MAC addresses for user space
processing and all devices would be noticed whenever they send the first
packet, no matter whether it is DHCP or something else, i.e., static IP
and non-IPv4 hosts would also be processed.

> In ieee802_11.c auth_get_sta() is implemented. I think this function
> should move to hostapd.c . There are no 802.11 thinks in this function.
> At the moment i declared this function to extern.

I would agree on moving the function, although I would probably move it
to sta_info.c, not hostapd.c. In addition, the function should be
renamed to something like ap_sta_add().