almost have it working...

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 18 20:11:12 EDT 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 07:44 pm, Matt Darnall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my dlink dwl-520 rev e working with the hostap driver
> solution and fedora core 2. I am following this tutorial:
>
> http://home.columbus.rr.com/andrewbarr/linux/dwl520e1.html
>
> and everything seems to work fine except and the end of the instructions it
> becomes vague about how to get a connection.
>
> So I am able to get all the way through the guide, I am just a little
> confused on what I have to do with the iwconfig command to get and maintain
> a network connection. I have experimented around a little bit like setting
> my ssid, encryption key and so forth and when I run "iwconfig wlan0" I see
> that most of the values are set right and that signal is like 6/70 but if I
> try to open the web browser or something i don't seem to have a connection.
>
> Any help would be apprieciated! Thanks,
> Matt

You probably need to use the DHCP client to obtain an IP address. Since you're
using Fedora Core 2, you need to create the
file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0, (base it
on /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, assuming you have an Ethernet
adapter) and then run the dhclient command like this:

dhclient wlan0

Good luck,
Andrew