Using wpa_supplicant to associate with open network

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 18 10:13:27 EDT 2004

I am trying to set up my computer to use wpa_supplicant to manage all the
wireless networks I connect to (WPA and non-WPA). One of these is a public,
open network with no encryption that is broadcasting it's SSID. I know where
the AP is, it's a Cisco 1200 AP. The configuration section for this network
is as follows:

network={
        ssid="osu_libw"
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

(please find entire config file, minus passwords, attached)

If I type "iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid any" the card immediately
associates with the network. This happens both with my ipw2100 and my D-Link
DWL-650revP. If I type "wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
-D<x> -d" where <x> is wext, hostap, or ipw2100, wpa_supplicant selects the
AP, but times out authenticating with it:

Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:0d:28:d3:2a:22 ssid='osu_libw' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0
   skip - no WPA/RSN IE
   selected non-WPA AP 00:0d:28:d3:2a:22 ssid='osu_libw'
Trying to associate with 00:0d:28:d3:2a:22 (SSID='osu_libw' freq=2412 MHz)
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.

(also find entire log attached)

Pressing CTRL+C to terminate wpa_supplicant results in the card instantly
associating with the AP. I can then use dhcpcd to obtain an IP address. But
as long as wpa_supplicant is running, it constantly loops trying to associate
with the AP. Signal strength is not an issue because I can physically see the
AP where I'm sitting now. I really like wpa_supplicant's powerful network
management features, and it works with the campus network (LEAP) and my home
network (WPA-EAP; PEAP-MSCHAPv2), but this one network seems to give it fits.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew