[Madwifi-devel] Re: madwifi(cvs), wpa_supp v0.2.5 and linksys router problem

Andreas Schuldei andreas at schuldei.org
Tue Nov 30 03:27:51 EST 2004

* Sam Leffler (sam at errno.com) [041128 23:14]:
> [hostap@ trimmed since it appears unrelated to hostap stuff]
>
> On Saturday 27 November 2004 05:24 pm, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:19:28PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > > ok, here are some logs with debugging in the madwifi driver
> > > activated (by echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/ath0/debug)
> >
> > Thanks. This is starting to point towards being something to do with the
> > driver and not wpa_supplicant, so I cc'ed madwifi-devel mailing list
> > which is probably a more suitable forum for this question.

ok, i attache the trivial perl program i wrote to pull together
all the debug output and put it in the correct cronological order
in which it appeared. note that i seems to have dropped a char
here and there, but i think that is not critical. I hope this
perlscript can help others collecting meaningfull debug data,
too.

i also had to unbuffer wpa_supplicant`s output to make that
possible. i added a fflush(stdout); in wpa_printf. I would
recommend doing that upstream, too, for better usability in
debugging environments.

i let the logging run over night and there were several
connection losses during that time. this resulted in 39Mbyte of
log data. i bzip2'ed them and put the resulting 1.5Mbyte file up
on http://www.schuldei.org/debug.txt.bz2

i hope you find all the evidence/data you need to squish this
bugger. if you do need a sniffer log on top of that i could do
that, too. if you can do without that, i am happy. (c:

looking at the athstats output of the file i see periodic raise
and fall of the pysical error rate. i know that EMI
(electromagnetic interferance?) can play funny games... but what
device has such a interferance pattern?  it seems to be allmost
error free for ca 30 seconds to go up to 20-40 errors a second
for minutes. is this my antenna/network device breaking or my
neighbours fridge going on and off?