Adding generic Information Elements

Peter De Cleyn peter.decleyn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:26:52 EST 2004

> > Hi list,
> >
> > I would like to add some own Information Elements (IE) to the
> > association request and response messages.
> >
> > A search here and some browsing through the code showed me that
> > something similar is done when using WPA, (using
> > prism2_ioctl_set_generic_elment etc) but I still have some questions.
> >
> > * How do you define where you want to add the new IE (e.g. beacon
> > frame, asso req, asso res)
>
> If we are acting as supplicant then this should be added to the association
> request frame.

Sorry if I was'nt clear enough, but I want to enhance the basic
association process by adding extra IEs and I found some references on
how to add IEs in the WPA supplicant code. driver_hostap.c uses a
ioctl which eventually calls prism2_ioctl_set_generic_element in
hostap_ioctl.c which adds the generic Information Element.

So my first question was how to make sure a certain IE was added to
e.g. the association request (response) sent to a AP (STA).

> > * When should this be set: if the IE does not change once or every
> > time a certain frame is sent
>
> It should be set before sending the join request to the Access point.

Does this means that the supplied IE will be added to the next
management frame?