Hostap & 2.6.10-rc1-mm5 kernel

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Tue Nov 16 03:40:03 EST 2004

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:12:20PM +0200, jar wrote:
>
>> Hostap driver seems to be included to the 2.6.10-rc1-mm5 kernel. Is it
>> possible to add the version numbers to the hostap modules. So that users
>> can easily check by using modinfo which version is currently included in
>> the kernel?
>
> At the moment, it is not that clear what the version number would
> indicate or what it should be. The current code in wireless-2.6 (and
> -mm) is osmething that is close to current CVS development branch (which
> does not really have any version number), but it is not identical to
> this.. What would you like to learn from the version number?

In the future, I don't know what is the updating speed in the kernel driver and your
separate stable version (*.tar.gz). If the kernel version is updating slower than
the separate package you could check the version number of the kernel module. Maybe
the version number will tell something what to expect the driver; bugs corrected in
newer version, new features added, etc. But if the kernel version is always more or
less the same that the current stable package, then the version number is not needed
I guess.

BR.
--
Best Regards, Jar