netgear

AP-Research HostAP-Research at rescunet.com
Fri Nov 12 19:21:14 EST 2004

<quote who="capacity77 at tin.it">
> I'm trying to make the Netgear WG311v2 PCI wireless card work with hostap.
> I'm only able to load hostap_cs so I guess it works with this module but
> the README says I have to add the card model to hostap_cs.conf in order
> to get
> the driver started.
> What should I exactly do?
> Thanks!
> Dom

First - The WG311v2 card doesn't seem to use a HostAP supported Prism chip
so you're using the wrong driver.  Use one designed for TI acx111 chipset.
(Reference: http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php?sort_by=model)

I tried to get the data sheet for it from
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG311v2.php, but apparently it has
been removed.

Second - To answer the question about hostap_cs.conf, in case you decide
to use a PCI/PCMCIA bridge::
If you read the /etc/pcmcia/config you'll find that you can include
additional configuration files (my_driver_configuration.conf) to the
/pcmcia subsystem.  Since your distribution/installation/bootstrapped-hack
may, or may not, know about the hostap driver, we extend the "known world"
by including /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf.

e.g. from /etc/pcmcia/config
# Include configuration files for add-on drivers
 source ./*.conf

... so following along with the structure given you would get the
information from your card by watching dmesg output or using hostap_diag.
Next, modify your hostap_cs.conf so it fits your specific hardware.  An
example for an SMC2532W-B follows:

## RescuNET-pico radio configuration
#
device "hostap_cs"
   class "network" module "hostap", "hostap_cs"

card "SMC2532W-B 200mW"
   version "SMC", "SMC2532W-B EliteConnect Wireless Adapter", "", ""
   manfid 0xd601, 0x0005
   bind "hostap_cs"

module "hostap_cs" opts "channel=2 iw_mode=3 essid=RescuNET-pico
ignore_cis_vcc=0"
#
##

You can add additional modules (e.g. hostap_crypt_wep,
hostap_crypt_tkip...) if needed by appending them to the device section.

--
Regards
KC Ferguson CIO/CTO