Can't access the access point itself

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 9 07:52:14 EST 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 12:05, Daniel Arleth wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am using a senao pcmcia card with Prism II Chip (Firmware 1.4.9) with the
> hostap driver 0.2.5 in managed mode on a public access point, which is also
> the default gateway.
>
> Everything works fine, but sometimes I can't access (i.e. ping) the ap any
> more. dmesg shows up I am still associated and I can still ping other hosts
> connected to this ap, but the ap itself is not answering to arp requests.
>
> And because the ap is also the default gateway, I can't reach the internet.
>
> I called the tech-support of this public access point and he told me, this
> is an known issue and I shall "update my software". But I am not sure which
> software. The driver or the firmware?
>
> Did anybody have a similar problem? Could anybody give me a hint what to
> do?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel
Firmware.

I had this problem.  The 1.4.9 (and before) firmware is very ready to slow
the link from 11 to 5 to 2 to 1 Mb/s, and down to zero.  But it is slow to
try to get it back.  I had various hacks going which kept reminding the
card that it was allowed any speed which immediately brought it back
but the real fix was to move to 1.8.0 as the firmware, then all the problems
went away.

David