WDS link problem: ping only

michael schatz thevedado at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 07:20:23 EST 2004

denis-
thanks for your responses---i think you understand my difficulty well, but i'm not
sure i understand what to do based on your suggestions...see below

Denis Vlasenko <vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua> wrote:

On Monday 01 November 2004 06:05, michael schatz wrote:

> Hi-
> I've established a WDS static link between two APs running hostAP (call
> them AP:A and AP:B) under RedHat 9.0. AP:A and all wireless devices that
> associate with it have full access to the internet (ping, DNS, web
> browsing, ssh, etc). AP:B also has full access to the internet, but
> all wireless devices associated with AP:B can only ping (only by using IP

ping what? ping anything? ping AP only?

everything behind AP:B can ping anything (AP:B, AP:A, wireless devices on AP:A, anything on the internet) but only if i use the explicit IP address-i.e. host names are not resolved.

> addresses)....nothing else works( no DNS, no ssh, no web
> browsing, etc). below
> i give the architecture and the scripts on both APs (/etc/rc.local)
> that i use to set up the WDS link with ipforwarding and routing. could
> someone suggest what i'm missing in configuring the forwarding/routing
> of AP:B's devices?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Mike

You most probably meant this:

INTERNET via router (192.168.0.1)

eth0 (192.168.0.7)
AP-A wlan0 (10.1.2.1) --
10.1.2.254/30

WDS

10.1.2.253/30
AP-B wlan0 (10.1.3.1) --

yes, denis---your sketch is better and correct.

> ********AP:A initialization script********
> #!/bin/sh
> #
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> echo "Local wlan0 config. stuff"
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 channel 1 ESSID "Vedado" txpower 15
>
> echo "setup WDS static link"
> #MAC address below from AP on other end of the link
> iwpriv wlan0 wds_add BB:BB:BB:BB:BB:BB
> ip addr add 10.1.2.254/30 broadcast 10.1.2.255 dev wlan0wds0
> ip link set wlan0wds0 up
>
> echo "Enabling IP Masquerading"
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You dont have any routing setup here.
Does AP-A know how to reach 10.1.3.x?
If not, nothing will work from behind AP-B.

you are exactly right!.....AP-A  _cannot_ reach 10.1.3.x   i think this is the main problem...how specifically do i correct this?

> ********AP:B initialization script********
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> echo "Local wlan0 config. stuff"
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 channel 1 ESSID "Vedado" txpower 23
>
> echo "set up WDS static link"
> #MAC address below from other end of link
> iwpriv wlan0 wds_add AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA
>
> ip addr add 10.1.2.253/30 broadcast 10.1.2.255 dev wlan0wds0
> ip link set wlan0wds0 up
>
> echo "Enabling IP Masquerading"
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0wds0 -j MASQUERADE
> /sbin/route add -net default gw 10.1.2.254 metric 1
>
> echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This looks ok.

BTW, use tcpdump to see what's going on the 'wire'.
--

How specifically do i use tcpdump in this case?