WPA-PSK reconnection problem

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 31 19:39:44 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 06:06:45PM +0200, Michael Guntsche wrote:

> Running hostapd with -dd shows (with the powerbook)

> <Now I enable the wireless card again>
> Failed to set encryption. <-- I don't know what this means exactly
> wlan0: STA 00:0d:93:83:92:7a IEEE 802.11: authenticated
> wlan0: STA 00:0d:93:83:92:7a IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
> wlan0: STA 00:0d:93:83:92:7a WPA: pairwise key handshake completed

Which version of hostapd are you using? Could you please re-test this
with the current CVS snapshot of hostapd? Command line option -dd was
not really used in the previous version and this log does not include
all the information I would be interested in seeing. In addition, a bug
in WPA rekeying was fixed some time ago.

Which station firmware version are you using the card that is the AP? I
tried to reproduce this with STA f/w v1.8.3, but did not see similar
behavior.

"Failed to set encryption" could indicate some kind of crash/corruption
in the station firmware. Please see whether 'dmesg' shows any error
messages in this kind of case.

> As you can see,  there is now group key handshake taking place and I
> have no connection.

Group Key Handshake is the first encrypted part of the connection, so
this would indicate that