Are Netgear MA311 rev 2.0 Prism2-based?

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Sun May 23 04:42:29 EDT 2004

On Sunday 23 May 2004 06:13, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, Denis!
>
> On Sat, 22 May 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > My sister bought me two cards and is going to mail them to me.
> > Since I am ~10000 km away from her, I'd like to check whether
> >
> > they are indeed Prism2. She writes:
> > > Also, there is no information at all about the chipset, but you say
> > > that all Netgear MA311 have Intersil. љIf it helps at all, the card has
> > > a sticker that says "HW REV. 2.0".
> >
> > Can anybody confirm that this hardware works with hostap?
>
> I cannot definitely confirm, but I quite sure it works with hostap.  Let
> me show you how to find out.
>
> 2 out of 3 hardware compatibility lists from the recent thread list MA311
> as compatible (Intersil chipset) without any warnings, one doesn't list it
> at all.  If users had problems there would be warnings.

[snip]
[snip more]
[snip even more]

Thank you Pavel. I did not expect such a long and useful reply.
Really. You are something :)

I was, hmm, 99% sure it will work. Just thought somebody will
explicitly say "I have rev 2.0 too and it really works".

> Using different chipsets without changing the model number is not common
> practice.  D-Link did it and they were criticized by the community (not
> just by Linux users).

I think they are not too concerned with that criticism :(

> Just because D-Link did something stupid we shouldn't suspect every other
> company on the market.

I think I saw posts about LinkSys doing this too. Aha! This is it:

--
vda