Tx Rate Choosing

Anand S. Katti askatti at ece.iisc.ernet.in
Sat May 22 06:35:38 EDT 2004

>> When HostAP receives the Probe requests,

>It does not.. This is handled in firmware..

>>       0-  does it fix the supported rates in the probe response based
>> on the SIR value ?
>>       0-  does it fix the Tx Rate in the Association Response based on
>> the SIR value of the received Associate Request ?

>No.

Then How does the Firmware handle these probe requests and association
requests ?

 I mean if the hostap is in sta mode, at what tx rate does the F/W send
the probe request/asso req ? does the f/w chose the tx rate by default ?
as highest 11Mbps or based on any other criteria ?

As far std says Generally control/mgmt frames are sent at 1 or 2 Mbps.

In Prism Driver Programmers manual F/w vers 2.3 its mentionde that f/w
keeps updated withthe channel info that contains signal and noise related
info, where else this SNR is used other than in AutoFallback Algo ?

Kindly answer.

Regards,
--Anand