Kernel panic using hostapd

Kwabbernoot kwabbernoot at wanadoo.nl
Sat May 15 06:02:04 EDT 2004

Hello all,

When I started to use hostapd (0.2.0) sometimes my kernel panics.
The program on the stack is doing a NULL pointer deref. I have some
photo's of my console taken with my camera. I have seen hotplug
doing it a few times but sometimes it's an other program.

Today it looks like I can reproduce it. When my system starts up and
ppp is trying to get a connection, hotplug is active. Today when I
started hostapd on that moment and got three panics in a row. Two
times hotplug and one time hostapd where causing it.

A month ago I tried the new CVS version and sinds then I didn't had
this problem for a while. Today I set up WDS and tried to start
hostapd automatically when my system started and I experienced it
three times. I looks like it's related to the activity of hotplug at
boottime but I'm not sure because this afternoon my kernel also
paniced suddenly after running for a few hours.

I tried hostapd -dd but no output, so I tried a strace and the
kernel paniced this moment:

<snip>
open("/etc/hostapd.conf", O_RDONLY)     = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=8006, ...}) = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40014000
read(3, "##### hostapd configuration file"..., 4096) = 4096
read(3, "ADIUS packets. These are optiona"..., 4096) = 3910
read(3, "", 4096)                       = 0
close(3)                                = 0
munmap(0x40014000, 4096)                = 0
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
ioctl(3, 0x8be0

Does somebody know if this is a known bug or maybe the solution?
Regards,
Arnaud