hostapd and WEP.

Andrea G. Forte andreaf at cs.columbia.edu
Thu May 6 17:00:45 EDT 2004

Hi all,

first of all I want to apologize about the questions which could be very
silly, but I am just starting to learn about security.

I would like to know if there is a way to use WEP and 802.1x so that I
have dynamic re-keying but without using a RADIUS server or any other kind
of auth server. Could I do this by just using 802.1x with a deny/accept
MAC list? Does 802.1x need an auth. server at all?
I would also like to know if hostap supports WEP with shared secret auth.
mechanism.

I have done some testing with WEP and it happens that even though I use
different keys for the AP and the client, the client is still able to
associate to the AP. Probably this is correct since I am using only WEP
without any auth. algorithm (open auth.), but I would like to know if my
assumption is correct.
One last thing, when I enable the re-keying in the 802.1x config file, is
there any debug message that would show me the key update? Is there any
glitch in the client session when this happens?

Thank you very much all.
Andrea