Omnidirectional Antennas

Kelly Hogan kshogan at linora.com
Sat Mar 27 21:09:35 EST 2004

Dave,

How high are you placing your 15db omni?  How long is your coax, and
what type?

A common mis-conception is that omni's have deep vertical transmission
patterns.  We have found that the higher the gain of omni, the thinner
the doughnut of pattern around the antenna.  A lot of people place these
high gain antennas way up high, expecting good coverage, then only find
that they are putting the sweet spot over their targeted areas.

Try lowering your antenna, or get its plot of coverage and do some
good ol trig math to determine its best coverage area.  Then of course
trial & error is good as well.

We use a similar setup and get nearly 6-700m of good coverage.

Best
KH
nomadisp.com