The alias?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Mar 24 22:37:39 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:51:02AM +0800, GuanYalei wrote:

> But when I use
> ifconfig ,there lists two wireless card :one is called "wifi0" ,the other is "wlan0".But I have got only one
> wireless card(Linksys WPC11).
> Can anybody explain that?

ifconfig lists network devices (interfaces), not "cards". wifi0 is the
"master radio interface" and wlan0 is "virtual data interface". In most
cases, you can just ignore the existance of wifi0 and use wlan0. I use
multiple interface to clean up the implementation of virtual interfaces
(like WDS interfaces).