Hostap/SMC2602W interoperability problem

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Mar 23 00:55:34 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Mike Buckley wrote:

> I get these messages with or without WEP enabled.  The system with the
> AMD Alchemy is kernel 2.4.20.  I had kernel 2.4.18 and it still did the
> same thing. System with hostap is 2.4.20-8.  Hostap version is 0.2.0
> (Stable). Card being used is DWL520 Rev E (The one that has to be
> firmware loaded each time) output from kernel log on system with
> SMC2602W V3 (AMD Alchemy): MACINTERFACE No msg in msg queue da73f780.
> --End of output--
> This message repeats typically 87 times.
>
> output from kernel log on system running hostap in Master (Hostap) mode:
> wifi0: invalid skb->cb magic (0x74736f68, expected 0xf08a36a2)

Just a quick note.  I saw a similar message today when testing 802.1x.
The AP was running CVS hostap and CVS hostapd with minimal authenticator.
The station was running CVS hostap and CVS Xsupplicant.  The message would
appear 3 times on the station side during authentication if the AP was
using WEP.  I had to turn of WEP to make the station authenticate.

The difference was that the magic was 0x00000000.

> --End of output--
> This message repeats from 8 to 25 times
>
> Also the same number 0xf08a36a2 is present each time in the invalid
> skb->cb magic message.  The first number 0x74736f68 changes.

That's because 0xf08a36a2 is hardcoded in the driver.

> It seems like when this error occurs, my wireless connection lags.  It
> is really noticeable in quake3.  The game will say connection
> interrupted every couple of minutes or so.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any
> help.

We should track where this magic number comes from and where it becomes
different from the expected value.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin