reconnect problem

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Mar 21 22:14:38 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:52:06PM +0100, Peter wrote:

> windows xp (linksys driver): station reassociates and everything seems
> to work fine.

> linux (hostap): station reassociates, pairwise key handshake works, but
> no group key handshake. instead the station station starts reassociating
> after every pairwise key handshake. but i would guess that this a
> problem in wpa_supplicant or the hostap driver.

Actually, it was a problem in hostapd; it did not start group key
handshake in such a reassociation case. WinXP may have ignored the
missing group key handshake(?), but wpa_supplicant verifies that also
group key gets set and restarts if this times out.

I fixed hostapd to trigger group key handshake for reassociation and
this seems to now work with wpa_supplicant. This part has changed in the
later versions of IEEE 802.11i draft which do not require separate group
key handshake after 4-Way Handshake. I'm using the latest IEEE 802.11i
draft for hostapd and forgot to add this backwards compatibility change
for WPA. Current CVS snapshot of hostapd has this fix now.