iwspy with 0.1.3 doesn't work?

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Thu Mar 11 21:12:01 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:20:15PM +1030, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On 12/03/2004, at 3:59 AM, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
>
> >Ryan Verner wrote :
> >>
> >>iwspy doesn't seem to work on 0.1.3.  I'm running wireless-tools from
> >>Debian Sid (v026), and if I type in iwspy wlan0, I get:
> >>
> >>wlan0     No statistics to collect
> >>
> >>I tried compiling wireless-tools v025, but it didn't help.
> >>
> >>I'm using kernel 2.4.25.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?
> >
> >	> man iwspy
> >	> man iwlist
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  For example:
>
> root at netbox:~# iwspy wlan0
> Warning : Device wlan0 has been compiled with version 13
> of Wireless Extension, while we are using version 12.
> Some things may be broken...
>
> wlan0     Statistics collected:
>     00:90:4B:D0:CF:AD : Quality:88/92  Signal level:-22 dBm  Noise
> level:-39 dBm (updated)
>     typical/average   : Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>
> This is on a Debian woody system with 2.4.19, and hostap around the
> 0.1.1 mark from CVS, acting in Master mode.  It'll show me all clients
> connected, which is very handy for testing.

	This is not what iwspy is supposed to do. The fact that Jouni
subverted iwspy in some older version of HostAP doesn't change this
fact.

> The iwspy manpage just tells me to use it the way I am, and I can't see
> anything relevant in the iwlist manpage.

	The iwspy man page will tell you that it doesn't provide the
functionality you want.
	The iwlist man page (in wireless tools v25) will provide you
the proper way to get this information.

	Jean