FYI: Debian & DWL-650P

Aise Johan De Jong ajdejong at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 25 00:01:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, AP-Research wrote:

> <quote who="Aise Johan De Jong">
> > The only minor problem I'm having is that the first time I try
> > prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm0101020.hex
> > after I insert the card it usually doesn't succeed. However, after doing a
> > few random things, like "hostap_diag wlan0" (which gives an error at
> > this point), and/or "cardctl eject 0"+"modprobe hostap_cs"+"cardctl insert
> > 0" and/or "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart", it works.
>
> My understanding from Pavel Roskin in:
>
> http://sisyphus.iocaine.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-February/005431.html
>
> ... was that Genesis firmware begin with "a" & "r" (PRI, STA
> respectively). PRISM2_NON_VOLATILE_DOWNLOAD firmware begin with "p" & "s"
> (PRI, STA respectively). (is this correct?)

I can't comment on the naming convention, but I think whether you can use
a "p" file with -g depends on the card. The sequence of commands
prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm0101020.hex
prism2_srec -gp wlan0 pm0101020.hex
prism2_srec -rp wlan0 rf010800.hex
loads the firmware into RAM for my dwl-650 revP as explained elsewhere in
the archives. You have to do this every time you insert the card, which
is why one probably should buy another card. I was just trying to explain
that the first command doesn't always work on the first try but it does
eventually:)