wpa_supplicant and rekeying, dynamic WEP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jun 22 23:20:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 04:57:53PM +0200, Zdenek Pizl wrote:

> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:53:23PM +0200, Zdenek Pizl wrote:
> > >  I've notice that wpa_supplicant 0.2.2 does not do rekeying in EAP/TLS
> > > mode. My AP (Orinoco AP600) has set rekeying interval to 900 seconds,
> > > but there is no change in  key according to iwconfig wlan0.

> first authentication:
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"OURNETWORK"  Nickname:"mycomputer"
>           Encryption key:110C-17E6-70   Security mode:open

> after 25 minutes (no reauth visible in radius logs):
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"OURNETWORK"  Nickname:"mycomputer"
>           Encryption key:110C-17E6-70   Security mode:open

> As you can see, the line Encryption key is the same. From it I assume
> that rekeying/reauth is not working. Is that idea correct?

That is the unicast key.. Are you sure the AP is configured to rekey
unicast key every 900 seconds or could it only be rekeying the broadcast
keys? You should be able to list all WEP keys with 'iwlist wlan0 key' or
'hostap_crypt_conf -l wlan0'.

Does the connection stop working after 900 seconds? If you start
wpa_supplicant on foreground with debugging enabled (-d on command
line), you should see some debug messages when the key update is being
processed.