What doesn minimal_eap=1 mean in practice

Stefan Arentz stefan.arentz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 10:15:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:27:31 -0700, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> > The reason I am asking is because I am looking for a way to give
> > people secure access to an public wireless network; there is no
> > authentication needed. Like a 'WPA without passwords', only used for
> > dynamic WEP.
>
> For this, you will need to use an EAP method which provides keying
> material to generate and distribute the dynamic WEP keys. EAP-TLS and
> EAP-PEAP are examples of such methods, minimal_eap=1 test code is not.

Jouni, thanks for the quick answer.

I must admit that these standards are one of the more complicated ones
that I have encountered. I have a couple of books but it is difficult
to move from theory to practice.

Have you used EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP? What I don't understand is wether
these methods will require interaction or special drivers/extensions
on the client side or not.

 Stefan