hostapd and no encryption -> forcing key

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jun 9 09:31:17 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:40:00PM +0200, Ulf Jakobsson wrote:

> When I'm trying to run hostapd (0.1.3) with with no encryption
> the driver seems to add a random key.
>
> This happend only after I added the following lines to hostapd.conf:
> wep_key_len_broadcast=13
> wep_key_len_unicast=13

You are asking about no encryption, but you are configuring hostapd to
use encryption.. I'm not sure what you are asking for..

If you do not configure wep_key_len_* in hostapd.conf, hostapd will work
without encryption. However, please note that WinXP SP1 removed support
for this mode, so if you need to support WinXP clients with the AP, you
might not be able to run in this mode.

> As I understand from the 802.1x specification you don't need to run
> encryption when using 802.1x..

Well, you don't need to, but I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't..