broadcom MIPS driver

Nikki Chumakov nikki at gattaca.ru
Fri Jul 23 08:27:33 EDT 2004

Hello,

There are a family of wireless routers based on broadcom MIPS chipsets.
To name a few it is Linksys WRT54G(S), ASUS WL-500G(X) and so on.

I have ported wpa_supplicant to this architecture. The patch agains
wpa_supplicant-0.2.4 is available from
http://gattaca.ru/~nikki/wrt54g/openwrt/packages/wpa-supplicant/PATCH/wpa_supplicant-0.2.4.wrt54g.patch

This port was sucessfully tested with OpenWRT and Sveasoft firmwares.

I'm asking to integrate it into future wpa_supplicant versions.

I also have to give a note on this patch. By default broadcom based
routers used to aggregate wileress and ethernet interfaces into linux
software bridge (br0, brctl, ...). It was not sufficient to write only
driver_wrt54.c to support this configuration. I had to change
wpa_supplicant.c as well and the changes may possible affect other
drivers. In particulary had to add interface_name prarameter to
driver->events_init. I tried to isolate my changes with #ifdef's as much
as it possible.

Also, to be able to compile driver_wrt54.c, one need to copy
release/src/include directory from the wrt54 firmware source
distribution which is available from
http://www.linksys.com/support/opensourcecode/wrt54gs/2.07.1/wrt54gs.2.07.1.tgz

I am not including these files because it copyrighted by Broadcom and
I'm not sure if it may lead to copyright violations or not. Usually
people who building the custom programs for WRT54G already have firmware
source base installed, so here is no real problem.

WBR,
nikki