Does HostAp support IEEE 802.11 g and .11a too?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Jul 20 17:09:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Afsaneh Sattari wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Would you please let me know whether This driver supports IEEE 802.11(a)
> and .11(g) as well. If not, does any one has the information to provide
> to me.

I'm surprised this question is not in FAQ yet, because it's indeed a
frequently asked question.

Q: Does Host AP driver support IEEE 802.11a and 802.11g?  Does it support
chipsets other than Prism 2/2.5/3?

A: Host AP driver supports only Intersil Prism chipsets, versions 2, 2.5
and 3.  Those chipsets support IEEE 802.11b only.  Other chipsets are not
supported.  All utilities distributed with Host AP driver except
wpa_supplicant work only with Host AP driver, so they are limited to the
same hardware.  wpa_supplicant works with other drivers, including those
that support 802.11a and 802.11g.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin