hostap on prism 2.5

Sameer Moidu smoidu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 01:04:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use the hostap to capture wireless statistics.

The monitor mode allows me to observe ssi for signal and noise
measurements for each packet. Is there any way to observe this data
without being in monitor mode? The problem is that I wish to transfer
packets simultaneously while measuring the performance for this node.
It appears that once I switch the driver into monitor mode, it is
deregistered from the ap to which it was joined, or something similar
because packets sent from a networked host no longer reach the
station.

In any case, is it possible to get rssi data per packet without being
in monitor mode? I've looked into using the rid 0xfd51, but I would
have to poll for data rather than using it on a per packet basis.

Additionally, I was wondering if it would be possible to bind the card
to an access point, regardless of whether the signal could be reached
or not. I have tried using the iwconfig tool to do so, but this does
not appear to work. I seem to recall something about switching access
point selection to a manual mode in which this can all be controlled,
but that the default is to have the device automatically select. Is
this truly the case, and if so, how do I enable it? I've just noticed
that one of the configuration options for prism2_param is
host_roaming. It appears to be what I want, but I'm not sure if it is
and also how to use it...

Thanks,

Sameer