Firmware flashing with prism2_srec

wasik wasik at broumovska.lbcfree.net
Thu Jul 8 14:39:58 EDT 2004

Hello,
I was benchmarking different firmware versions, during that I flashed my card about 10 times without reboot and all worked fine. I had accidentally flashed my card only with primary firmware and no station firmware. That's where problems started. When I tryed to flash my card with station firmware I got error message, after computer reboot ihostap-driver did recognize card correctly (no station firmware) but I got this error:

root at hajtra:/usr/src/hostap-utils-0.2.1# ./prism2_srec wlan0 -f
./sf010704.hex ./pk010101.hex -O PDA
srec summary for sf010704.hex
Component: 0x001f 1.7.4 (station firmware)

srec summary for pk010101.hex
Component: 0x0015 1.1.1 (primary firmware)

ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No such device
Missing wlan component info
Could not read wlan RIDs
root at hajtra:/usr/src/hostap-utils-0.2.1# ./prism2_srec wlan0 -f
./sf010704.hex ./pk010101.hex
srec summary for sf010704.hex
Component: 0x001f 1.7.4 (station firmware)

srec summary for pk010101.hex
Component: 0x0015 1.1.1 (primary firmware)

ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No such device
Missing wlan component info
Could not read wlan RIDs

After another reboot to windows (I tryed WinUpdate, it did not even detect
the card) and reboot back to linux I tryed flashing again, it did work but
computer did hang during flashing. After reboot card works fine :)

So I think these errors should be fixed or primary-only flashing should
be disabled.

If anyone is interrested in my little benchmark, firmware 1.5.6 has
highest troughput (620kB/s) AP->client with one client connected, 1.7.4
is little bit worse (580kB/s), 1.8.3 has 16% packet loss and 1.3.4 is
really not good for hostap.

Jan Wasserbauer