Problems with WPA supplicant

Jonny Karlsson IT 00 karlssoj at arcada.fi
Wed Jan 28 09:38:27 EST 2004

Hello!

I'm trying to use WPA_supplicant but I'm having troubles with it. When
trying to start the demon I get the following error messages:

[root at test-radius wpa_supplicant]# ./wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c
wpa_supplicant.conf
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
[root at test-radius wpa_supplicant]#

Here is a list of important hardware and software I'm using:

WLAN card:		Linksys WPC11 v3.0
Operating system:	Redhat 9.0
Kernel version:		2.4.20-8
Wireless extionsion:	v16
hostap-driver:		Latest snapshot

I have configured /etc/pcmcia/wireless and /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts as
described in the wpa_supplicant README file:

wireless
-------
    .
    .
    .
    fi
    # ESSID need to be last : most device re-perform the scanning/discovery
    # when this is set, and things like encryption keys are better be
    # defined if we want to discover the right set of APs/nodes.
    if [ -n "$ESSID" ] ; then
        log $IWPATH/iwconfig $DEVICE essid \"$ESSID\"
    fi

    #Jonny added 28.2.2004 (needed for wpa support)
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------
    #Följande startar WPA supplicant tillsammands med pcmcia-cs
    #fo?uutatt att WPA="y" i wireless.opts
    if [ "$WPA" = "y" -a -x /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant ]; then
        /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant -Bw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf \
                -i$DEVICE
    fi
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------

    ;;
    .
    .
    .

wireless.opts
-------------
    .
    .
    essidany,*,*,*)
    INFO="Any ESSID"
    ESSID="any"

    #Jonny added 28.1.2004
    #--------------------
    WPA="y"
    MODE="Managed"

    ;;
    .
    .

Is there anything else I have to do to enable WPA or have I just
configured something wrong?

I would be grateful if anyone could help me this!

With kind regards

Jonny Karlsson