A couple beginner questions ..

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Jan 23 02:01:34 EST 2004

Hi, Jouni!

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:53:46PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > It should be OK.  There is one exception that should be fixed.  If you use
> > one of the new flashless cards, you have to specify "no_primary=1" for the
> > module.  This setting is global and it will affect other cards.  As is
> > stands now, you cannot use flashless and normal cards in the same system.
> > Flashless cards are D-Link DWL-520 revision E and DWL-650 revision P.
>
> Why wouldn't one be able use "normal cards" with no_primary=1 setting?
> It is only used when initialization fails to allow the driver to
> continue in limited mode. There shouldn't be any problems with enabling
> it for all cards.. I'm even considering of removing it or just making it
> default to 1. That would make it unnecessary to try to come up with
> mechanisms for detecting when the card does not have full flash.

I misinterpreted a bug that I keep seeing but cannot reproduce while
paying attention.  Sometimes when hostap_pci or hostap_plx (observed with
each of them) is loaded with no_primary=1, hostap_cs fails to bind to the
socket (I don't remember the exact message).  I guess "no_primary" is in
fact irrelevant to this bug.

Indeed, no_primary=1 doesn't prevent "normal" cards from working (just
tested it with PCMCIA and PCI).  I agree that it should be removed.  A
positive side effect is that the driver will recognize misflashed cards
rather than reject them.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin